Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hanging with Billy Ray

I have been working on another post but haven't had time to finish it. In the meantime, I want to share a pleasant experience with you.

After Billy Ray's Dad passed away we were alone for a year and a half. We used to have "dates with Mom" where we would just go out for dinner or some place. It was generally fun for us.

The past couple of months Billy Ray started refusing to do some of his activities first with support staff and there has even been some reluctance with us. He had meals on wheels which Larry, his stepfather assisted with today. He was a bit hesitant to go for some reason. I finally asked him if he wanted to have a date with Mom when he came back and he was eager. He quickly decided to change clothes and go with Dad for his meals on wheels. Larry said he hugged several of the older ladies on the route and was quick to show Dad which house to turn to. Larry made a big deal of him needing to show him where to go and BR loved it.

When they came back I gave him his Nexum and stalled so he'd have it 30 minutes before eating and then we went to the Mexican restaurant here in LaPine. They are good to him and he loves the food. I don't know when I have seen him eat so well. He was calm the whole time and you could tell he was really enjoying himself. The old charm was definitely present in him. He even engaged in a bit of lunchtime chit chat which is rare for him.

On the way back, I was remembering something one of my granddaughters said and told Billy Ray this little story. One of our daughters-in-law, Rebecca and granddaughters, Eldora and Alena and I were at the mall shopping and eating. Alena said "I like hanging with your Grandma". I told Billy Ray that our pleasant lunch today made me think of that because I like hanging with him. He got the biggest grin and laughed out loud.

We had so much fun we decided to go to the LaPine Inn tomorrow for lunch. Maybe we will let Dad join us if he is lucky (smile).

Until next time,
Peggy Lou Morgan
My Other Blogs: Amazon Connect and Lighthouse Parents
Websites: Parenting Your Complex Child and Lighthouse Parents
Yahoo Group

2 comments:

K.C.'sMommy said...

Hi there Peggy Lou,
I am so happy to hear that Billy Ray was grinning and sounds very happy! He is terrific guy and I can actually imagine him all grins:) His date with Mom sure made him a happy camper and I know you must be thrilled:)
Thank you so much for the mention Peggy Lou, it is so nice to know that another Mommy know's how I feel and we are not alone.
Here's to another wonderful date with Mom and a happy Billy Ray.

Lora said...

So glad to hear that Billy Ray had a good time and you too. It's nice that he was engaging in chit chat and grinning, I bet he does have a charming personality. Sorry I haven't been around much we have been awfully busy lately, I am always thinking of you and Billy Ray though. ~Hugs~