Wednesday, April 02, 2008

World Autism Day

This morning I turned CNN on and discovered a program in process titled We Have Autism. We do have a tivo but I was not able to rewind to the beginning. Additionally, our satelite feed for CNN was not working well so I missed a lot with the fuzz. However, I loved what I saw and it struck me that it was very positive in terms of showing treatment and hope. There were none of the desperate feelings expressed in video such as Autism Speaks. This presentation gave real hope for meaningful lives for children and adults who experiene Autism.

A comment made by one of the mothers that once you become the parent of a child who experiences Autism you become a parent of all children who experience Autism really struck a chord with me. That has been my experience to a substantial degree. Once I became Billy Ray's Mom I found a deep concern for the acceptance and oppportunities for all children who experience special needs. We become one in so many ways.

I am thrilled that we have a World Autism Day. I hope that somehow we can spread that not just to Autism but to all who experience disabilities.

I am sorry I have been so delinquent in writing. I am physically improving from my New Year's Eve episode and getting stronger. My blood pressure is responding to medications. I am getting anxious to get out there speaking and meeting all of you again.

I will do an update on Billy Ray in the next day or so. Also on my writing and my new book.

Until next time,
Peggy Lou Morgan
Blogs: Amazon Author Connect, Parenting a Complex Special Needs Adult and Lighthouse Parents
Websites: Parenting Your Complex Child, Lighthouse Parents and Peggy Lou Morgan.com
Parenting Your Complex Child Yahoo Group

7 comments:

KC's Blog said...

Can't wait to read your new book :) So glad to hear you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Have you see this:
http colon //wcbstv dot com/video/?id=111027@wcbs dot dayport dot com

And

http colon //youtube dot com/watch?v=inRak4jGgmE&feature=user

About Nancy said...

I just found your blog. So few are found on Autism. I plan to revisit and read more. Until then, have a blessed day!
In Him,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Dear Peggy Lou:

Thanks so much for adding your personal and positive voice to the ADHD community with your Parenting a Complex Special Needs Child blog. As the web director for ADDitude magazine, I visit your blog as often as I can and I’m always blown away the gritty, informative, and inspiring words I find there and in other ADD blogs scattered across the web. Which is why ADDitude has recently launched its first-ever blog roll (http://www.additudemag.com/adhdblogs/2/index.html) – an online index of our very favorite ADD bloggers.

We’re delighted to include links to your blog in our blog roll (http://www.additudemag.com/adhdblogs/2/index.html) and we know that ADDitude readers will enjoy your real-world perspective as much as we do.

We also know you’re always looking for new information about parenting children with ADHD and learning disabilities, so we’re inviting you to link to this exclusive sneak-preview article from our upcoming Summer Issue:

Bullied No More!
Help your child bridle the school bully with strategies used by 11-year-old author Shane Taylor to defeat his classroom nemesis.
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/3537.html

We hope you agree that this article will be a great resource for your readers. And we also encourage you to turn them on to other expert information and free resources available on ADDitudeMag.com. We’ve got active discussion forums (http://www.additudemag.com/adhdforums/index.html), free Printables (http://www.additudemag.com/resources/printables.html), Expert Q&As (http://www.additudemag.com/resources/experts2.html), and nearly a decade worth of magazine articles (http://www.additudemag.com/additude/archives.html).

We hope you’ll link to the ADDitude sneak preview above (the issue isn’t out for almost 3 weeks) and keep an eye on ADDitudeMag.com for the new content and tools we add each month.

Thanks for your time and your great blog, we hope you’ll stay in touch as we both grow!

Best,
Anni Rodgers

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I appreciate your blog. It helps to hear about the challenges other families face. I am writing to you as a fellow Oregon mom with a special needs child. For more information about me and my situation please see www.cynthiaoregon.com

As an attorney my focus is a little different than yours, but we can all help each other out.

Anonymous said...

Great informative read, many thanks. We've been having problems with nappy rash and I'm not sure how I stumbled on this but I like it and thank you for your words.

Leon & Julian mom said...

I write the diary of the child care. It is daily life being nice, a pleasant thing, a serious thing, surprising continuation.
Please link this site.